OK, OK, alright. Yes, I have delayed writing my analysis about Thursday's Candidate Forum for a very good reason. I believe one candidate stretched the truth in six instances and I am doing a bit of fact checking before I call her out as a liar. You deserve that much, dear reader.
In the meantime, let's just talk about the event itself. This was my seventh or eighth Candidate Forum put on by the League of Women Voters. They get worse every election. The LWV sends someone who knows nothing about B'game because that is how they think they remain objective. Mostly they just appear clueless.
The scuttlebutt in council chambers afterward was how few of the real B'game-specific questions that were submitted actually got asked. I took seven pages of notes and here were some of the topics:
- What are the senior citizen issues these days?
- Where will the money for the new Rec Center come from? (Great question, not such good answers). Many questions later the LWV emcee asked about General Obligation bonds instead of following up immediately.
- What will you do about low income housing? (Ugh. We are the fourth densest city in the county with 52% renters already. That stone has no more blood. Later came the Rent Control question over again. I'll be addressing that in the Part 2 post. In the meantime, ask yourself what is the difference between "rent control" and "rent stabilization"?
- Then "what should we do about Climate Change"? Two questions later the same thing on "Sustainability". Then another one about "Community Choice Energy" like B'game is going to become its own power company. What BS. You would think Putin, Obama, Xi and the Pope were on the dais.
- My favorite was a few questions later about the "Role of libraries". Everyone was in favor of libraries.....are you surprised?
And yet there were two clear winners that did not surprise me one bit. When I get a response from City Staff regarding one central question, I will give you a more complete review.